Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Who takes care of the
Pratt County Lake?
A. The Pratt County Road Department; The Lake Supervisor is Don Swift. You can reach him on his cell phone 620-388-1407 for additional information concerning the lake.
Q. What are the fees at the Pratt County Lake?
A. Tent camping - $20.00/annual (calendar year) or $3.00/night.Recreational vehicles or campers without services - $3.00/night. Recreational vehicles or campers in camper spots with water and electrical service - $10.00/day.
Q. Where do I get a road
A. All road crossing permits can be picked up at
the Road Department office in the county courthouse.
BEFORE THE COUNTYCOMMISSIONERS OF PRATT COUNTY, KANSAS
RESOLUTION NO. 10-08-07
This Resolution is made and entered into this 8th day of October, 2007, by the Board of County Commissioners of Pratt County, Kansas.
WHEREAS, County owns and operates Pratt County Veterans Memorial Lake (“Lake”) for the use and benefit of the citizens of Pratt County, Kansas, and the surrounding area; and
WHEREAS, as the owner and operator of the Lake, it is the duty and the responsibility of the Board of County Commissioners to assure that the Lake and improvements thereon are protected from damage, destruction and vandalism so that the same may be used for the benefit and pleasure of its patrons; and
WHEREAS, it is the duty and responsibility of the Board of County Commissioners to assure that the Lake and its improvements are utilized in appropriate ways so that the opportunity to use and enjoy the Lake and its improvements will not be diminished; and
WHEREAS, the Board of County Commissioners has determined that one of the ways it can fulfill the foregoing duties and obligations is to adopt rules and regulations regarding activities at the Lake and has the power to do so in accordance with K.S.A. 19-2803a and in fulfillment thereof desires to adopt the following rules and regulations.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, by the Board of County Commissioners of Pratt County, Kansas, that the following rules and regulations pertaining to the Pratt County Veterans Memorial Lake should be and hereby are adopted.
RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING ACTIVITIES AT THE PRATT COUNTY VETERANS MEMORIAL LAKE.
- For purposes of these Rules and Regulations, the term “Lake” shall be interpreted to mean the Pratt County Veterans Memorial Lake, recreation areas, camping areas, improvements, and all property and appurtenances owned or used in connection with the Pratt County Veterans Memorial Lake from time to time.
- No hunting shall be allowed at the Lake. No person shall possess a firearm or discharge a firearm for any purposes at the Lake; provided, duly authorized and licensed persons may carry concealed weapons.
- Fishing by any means or method is prohibited except in such areas or portions thereof as may be open to such activity by posted notice. All fishing at the Lake shall be and is governed by the laws, rules and regulations of the State of Kansas. All fishing shall be restricted to size and limit rules set as posted. Ice fishing at the Lake is lawful only when authorized in designated areas through notification by means of signs and public news media authorized by the Board of County Commission. The catching or taking of minnows or bait fish in any manner is prohibited. Length limits and special creel limits which are in effect will be established by posted notice. Trot lines, bank lines, set lines, or limb lines are prohibited in the Lake.
- Discarding of trash or refuse of any kind at the Lake under misuse, abuse or damage or destruction of any property or improvement at the Lake or of any facility such as toilets is prohibited. Failure to pick up debris or other trash items from a space occupied by a visitor of the Lake, shall be considered violation of this prohibition. All trash and waste must be disposed of and deposited in receptacles provided.
- No open fires shall be permitted except in fire rings in designated areas or piers. All fires must be extinguished before leaving the fire unattended.
- Dogs not controlled with a chain or leash or confined in a motor vehicle, recreational vehicle or camper trailer, are prohibited from the Lake except under direct control of owner.
- All posted speed limits must be observed.
- Horseback riding and the operation of automobiles and other vehicles at the Lake is restricted to maintained roads and to parking areas unless posted otherwise.
- No person shall camp or remain at the Lake longer than fourteen (14) consecutive days. A forty-eight (48) hour absence of persons, equipment or vehicles is required between each camping period of fourteen (14) consecutive days.
- Quiet hours at the Lake are to be observed between 11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. Actions which alarm, anger or disturb others are prohibited. Failure to comply may result in expulsion from and exclusion from the Lake.
- No child under 18 years of age may be at the Lake after 11:00 p.m. or before 6:00 a.m. unless accompanied by their parent or legal guardian unless prior approval is given in writing by the Lake Superintendent to such child at the request of the child’s parent or legal guardian. Whether to grant such permission is at the sole discretion of the Lake Superintendent.
- Digging holes, cutting trees, limbs or branches, or otherwise disturbing the environment is prohibited.
- Disorderly conduct to include drunkenness, vile language, fighting, disturbing the public peace and personal exposure by removal of change of clothing in any place where a person is not properly sheltered, is prohibited.
- The Lake Superintendent shall have the right to bar any person that has engaged in any behavior in violation of these Rules and Regulations from entering on or remaining on the Lake property for a specified period of time or permanently by giving written notice to such person, personally or by certified mail, or by service from the Sheriff’s Department of the Lake Supervisor’s decision. Anyone aggrieved by such action may appeal the ruling to the Board of County Commissioners within fifteen (15) days of receipt of such notice.
- The destruction of or injury to any sign, guidepost, property, vegetation or habitat is unlawful.
- Swimming or wading in waters is prohibited except in those areas designated as bathing areas.
- The discharge or use of fireworks of any kind at the Lake is unlawful except during the period from June 27th to July 11th. Fireworks can only be discharged in areas specifically designated by the County; provided, the Board of County Commissioners specifically reserves the right to further restrict or limit usage of fireworks at any time or place.
- The drinking, display or sale of alcoholic liquors within the Lake is prohibited. In the even the County Commission deems it advisable to close the Lake to the use of beer or malt beverages containing not more than three and two-tenths percent (3.2%) of alcohol by weight, said areas may be posted closed for such periods as is necessary.
- The use of glass containers for beverages is prohibited.
- Private construction of any building, boat dock, fishing dock, launching ramp, tables, or other equipment of facilities on the Lake is prohibited except as may be permitted by the County Commission approval.
- Vessels propelled by hand or feet and sailboats are permitted on the Lake. Vessels propelled by motors of any size are permitted for fishing purposes only, and such motor vessels must be operated slow enough to avoid causing a wake, making loud noise or causing other nuisances. No jet skis may be used on the Lake. All state boating laws apply to the Lake.
- No vessel shall be left unattended at the Lake. Any vessel left unattended for twenty-four (24) hours shall be considered abandoned and any abandoned vessel will be confiscated by the County and sold at public auction.
- Certain uses of the Lake require obtaining a permit for which a fee will be charged as follows:
- Tent camping - $20.00/annual (calendar year) or $3.00/night
- Recreational vehicles or campers without services - $3.00/night
- Recreational vehicles or campers in camper spots with water and electrical service - $10.00/day
24. Violation of any of these Rules and Regulations shall be punishable in accordance with K.S.A. 28-2803a(a). The Substance of these Rules and Regulations, together with the penalty for violations thereof, shall be conspicuously posted by the Lake Superintendent at the entrances of the Lake.
This Resolution shall take effect after its publication in the official County newspaper once each week for three consecutive weeks.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, this Resolution is made and entered into the date first above written.