- You are Here:
- County Services
- Health Department
- Women, Infants, Children (WIC)
women, infant, children (wic) program
Women, Infants and Children (WIC) is a nutrition program that provides nutrition and health education, healthy food, and other services to Kansas families who qualify. It is a public health program designed to influence lifetime nutrition and healthy behaviors among WIC clients. The Kansas WIC Program provides nutrition education and support to families at critical periods:
- During pregnancy, support for both mother and her growing infant.
- After delivery, help new mothers and infants stay healthy during the first year.
- Successful breastfeeding, encourage mothers to exclusively breastfeed providing support to assure both mom and baby's success.
- Children ages 1 to 5, support parents in their decisions that impact their child's life-long eating habits and healthy behaviors.
WIC’s goal is to help keep pregnant and breastfeeding women, new moms, and kids under age 5 healthy by providing:
- Personalized nutrition information and support
- Checks to buy healthy food
- Tips for eating well to improve health
- Referrals for services that can benefit the whole family
WIC also offers immunization screening and referral, breastfeeding support, and nutrition and health classes on a variety of topics including meal planning, maintaining a healthy weight, picky eaters, caring for a new baby, shopping on a budget and more. We encourage you to take advantage of all that WIC offers.
Find more WIC information here: https://www.kdhe.ks.gov/1000/Nutrition-WIC-Services
Am I Eligible for WIC?
Many working people are eligible for WIC and don't realize it. WIC serves Kansas residents who are:
- Breastfeeding, up to baby's first birthday
- Infants and children under five years old
- Non-breastfeeding mothers, up to six months after baby's birth
WIC clients must meet WIC income guidelines and have a medical or nutritional need.
Find out if you are eligible here: https://www.kdhe.ks.gov/1017/Information-for-Families
WIC Eligibility Guidelines: https://www.kdhe.ks.gov/DocumentCenter/View/9168/Eligibility-and-Income-Guidelines-PDF